What does Professional Geriatric Care Management entail?
Professional Geriatric Care Management is a comprehensive, client-focused approach to caring for elderly individuals or others dealing with continuous health challenges. Geriatric Care Managers work with families, offering expert insights that provide solutions in times of uncertainty. Their guidance helps families make decisions that assure quality care and an optimal lifestyle for their loved ones, thereby alleviating worry, stress, and reducing time off work for family caregivers. This is achieved through:
- Evaluation and monitoring
- Planning and problem-solving
- Education and advocacy
- Coaching family caregivers
Geriatric Care Managers can be sought to assist in various areas, such as:
- Housing: Assisting families in assessing and choosing the appropriate level of housing or residential options.
- Home care services: Determining the suitable types of services for a client and aiding the family in hiring and supervising these services.
- Medical management: Accompanying doctor appointments, facilitating communication between the doctor, client, and family, and if suitable, supervising the client’s compliance with medical directives and instructions.
- Communication: Keeping family members and professionals updated on the well-being and changing needs of the client.
- Social activities: Offering opportunities for the client to participate in social, recreational, or cultural activities that enhance their quality of life.
- Legal: Referring to or consulting with elder law attorneys, providing expert opinions for courts in determining the level of care.
- Financial: Possibly includes reviewing or overseeing bill payments or consulting with an accountant or client’s Power of Attorney.
- Entitlements: Providing information on Federal and state benefits; connecting families to local programs.
- Safety and security: Monitoring the client at home, recommending technologies to enhance security or safety, observing changes, and potential risks of exploitation or abuse.
Identifying and engaging local, cost-effective resources as needed forms a crucial part of the process.
Looking for personalized care solutions? Don’t hesitate to reach out. Contact us today, and let’s start the journey to better health together.